Alpujarra is a magical place away from urban and busy city life, nestled in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, between ravines, rivers and chestnut trees… a spectacle of nature that keeps a rich traditional culture.
Visiting the Alpujarra means immersing into another atmosphere,into a place where you will find your inner harmony, harmony with others and nature. The Alpujarra contains many hidden secrets and traditions from habitants who lived in these deep forests and valleys for hundreds of years.
The smell of wood burning in a fireplace in winter, lush pastures in the high slopes of the mountains in summer, the colors of reddish chestnut trees in autumn, the taste of delicious cured ham and wild berries that turn purple during the summer, the architecture of the typical white houses with grey roofs… All these treats are waiting for you in Alpujarra.
Inhabitants of the Alpujarra are friendly and hospitable and gladly welcome visitors in their community. It often happens that you meet people from all over the world who have settled down in the mountains. The Alpujarra is a mix of old traditions and new innovative ideas. Art galleries and other cute details represent the fusion of old and new.
The Alpujarra is a compilation of several small villages that are located in the mountains overlooking the most beautiful views. Trevélez, Pampaneira, Bubión, Capileira are treasures that you should not miss.
What to do in the Alpujarra ?
- Experience its tradition and culture in the artisan shops of ceramic, leather, carpets, wicker baskets, cheese, honey and so much more.
- Enjoy cured ham in different variants.
- Taste the typical wine and cheese of the area.
- Get lost in the narrow and steep streets, that are filled with colorful flowers adorning the typical houses of the Alpujarra.
- Take a bath in the crystal clear clean rivers.
- Practice hiking close to the little towns or in the high mountains, climb the highest summit of the Iberian Peninsula, Mulhacén, where you can see Africa when the day is clear.
- Try excursions on horseback.
- Learn to dance flamenco.